A full and busy week has passed at HFS. There was a sudden Winter chill that swept through Ulsan but that did not cool or dampen the spirits of the school. These are the news items that I must share with you this week.
I am pleased to report that HFS’s continued monitoring of and measures against the coronavirus outbreak are proving to be effective. By ensuring that we stay up to date with the latest information and developments and take appropriate actions without spreading unnecessary alarm we will stay on top of the situation.
HFS has taken the following steps to ensure that our school remains a safe and healthy environment for your children
- Daily temperature checks to identify any students who may have a fever
- Cancelling swimming club since it is in an environment where a virus may spread
- Reaching out to any families who may have travelled to China, are planning to travel to China or may have had contact with friends or relatives from China and taking steps to ensure everyone is safe
- Conducting lessons to inform students about the nature of the virus, how it is spread and what the best ways are to remain free of infection
- Going ahead with planning school trips but cancelling them at a moment’s notice should the situation require it
I would like to report that Hanmaeum Center has also stepped up its measures in combatting the spread of the virus by providing free hand sanitizer at the entrance and conducting a special building wide fumigation on Monday 3rd February (outside of operating hours) targeting the coronavirus. I must also note that Hanmaeum Center does conduct regular building fumigations in the first and third week of each month to maintain a safe, healthy and hygienic environment.
It is important that everyone remain calm and accurately informed about the situation. HFS stays up to date with information and alerts from the government and media. Both the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization are recommending the following standard measures and actions:
- Regular and thorough hand-washing with alcohol-based sanitizer or soap
- Staying home if you are unwell and avoiding contact with others
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Wearing of masks to avoid spreading germs (masks will not prevent infection but we will support any student who wishes to wear them)
If these procedures are followed we will stay on top of the situation. I will update you with any new information or further measures immediately as necessity dictates.
Pajama Day Fun
On a lighter note, what an awesome spectacle it was to see so many students adorned in sleepy gear. I hope they didn’t sleep in class. Thank you to all the participants, your contribution to the Australian Wild Fires Charity will surely make a difference. Congratulations to Elif Ece, our overall winner of the best pajamas at HFS. You certainly must sleep soundly in that gear. Well done to Caroline, Theo, and Anna Julia, the finalists in our contest. I am sure everyone enjoyed the popcorn and juice courtesy of the HFS PTA, thank you for providing those treats. Watching the movie was a relaxing way to end a full week. Please enjoy these pictures of the day’s fun.
Dongrami Theatre and English Music School
I am pleased to promote upcoming productions at Dongrami Theatre. They are a well-established institution in Ulsan and I am proud and happy to endorse them. They are looking for students aged 4 ~ 12 years (international age) to participate in their upcoming productions. These are:
1) The Snow Queen (Tuesdays) Starting on 25 February from 5:40~7:20pm.
2) The Wizard of OZ (Thursdays) Starting on 27 February from 5:40~7:20pm.
3) Hansel and Gretel (Fridays) Starting on 27 March from 5:40~7:20pm
4) The Bremen Band (Saturdays) Starting on 28 March from 5:40~7:20pm
For more detailed information you can call the director YooJung Im at 010-3191-8437 or the Dongrami Theatre directly at 052-258-1248.
FS 1-2 “Lightning Man” Experience Trip on Thursday 13 February
Superheroes Assemble! I am pleased that the FS 1-2 students will enjoy a fantastic outing to the “Lightning Man” Experience Center on Thursday 13 February. It promises to be an awesome day of fun and learning around their IPC topic of superheroes. We will monitor the coronavirus situation in the coming days and modify the plans immediately if need be.
HFS Student Council Bake Sale on Friday 14 February
It always pleases me to report on our wonderful student initiatives at HFS. Next week the HFS Student Council will hold a Valentine’s Day Chocolate and Bake sale. There are sure to be many sweet goodies on offer and all proceeds will go to a worthy cause. Please send some 1,000 won notes to school with your child on the day so that they may purchase a treat or two in the name of fundraising for a good cause.
That is all for this week. Thank you for your continued support. Do stay warm, safe and healthy over this chilly weekend.